Yummy Bacon Cookies
What pup doesn’t love bacon? This Treat Tuesday we’re featuring this fun-to-make Bacon Cookie recipe from myrecipes.
What You’ll Need
Whole Wheat Flour
2 1/4 cups
Toasted Wheat Germ
Nonfat Dry Milk
1 Large Egg
Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line two large shallow baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium and cook bacon until crisp, turning once or twice, about 6-7 minutes. Drain, transfer to a cutting board, and finely chop it. Reserve 1 tbsp fat.
- Combine the chopped bacon, flour, wheat germ and dry milk in a medium bowl. Whisk together reserved bacon fat, egg, chicken broth and parsley in a separate bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir with a spoon or rubber spatula until rough dough forms. Knead the dough in the bowl 5-6 times until it comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll out to a 1/4-inch thickness. With a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out treats and transfer to the prepared baking sheets. Press all the scraps together, kneading once or twice, then roll out to 1/4-inch thickness and cut out more treats; repeat if necessary.
- Bake treats until lightly browned and fairly hard, rotating the pans from top to bottom once, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely; biscuits will harden as they cool. Store in an airtight container.
Some of these ingredients might not be readily available in your home pantry. You can find whole wheat flour, wheat germ and flaxseed at your local grocery store in the baking aisle or the organic aisle!